Not too long ago, we compiled a protracted listing of the best Raspberry Pi commands for rookies. In the identical vein, we now have now provide you with one of the best Raspberry Pi keyboard shortcuts for customers who need to grasp every part about Raspbian OS. Now we have included the built-in keyboard shortcuts together with steps for the best way to create customized keyboard shortcuts for Raspberry Pi on this article. If you want, you may also select to disable sure keyboard shortcuts in your Pi board. So with none delay, let’s take a look at the specifics.
Finest Raspberry Pi Keyboard Shortcuts (2021)
If you wish to use your Raspberry Pi with a keyboard, you will have come to the appropriate place. With the keyboard shortcuts talked about under, you possibly can navigate Raspberry Pi OS with ease. Observe that a few of these hotkeys gained’t work if you're connecting to Raspberry Pi remotely via SSH. For those who choose utilizing Raspberry OS with a desktop setup, this listing will likely be actually useful for you.
Raspbian OS Keyboard Shortcuts
- Open the Terminal: Ctrl + Alt + T
The Terminal is the core of Raspberry Pi, and if you wish to entry it shortly, you should use the above keyboard shortcut on Raspbian OS. Irrespective of if you're inside a folder or a webpage, this shortcut opens the Terminal proper there.
- Shut the Present Window: Ctrl + Q
If you wish to shut the Terminal or an open window, press Ctrl and Q collectively on Raspbian OS. It's going to terminate the Terminal window straight away.
- Open System Menu: Ctrl + Esc
Do you need to open the system menu from the top-right nook on Raspberry Pi with out touching the mouse? Nicely, this shortcut permits you to open it seamlessly.
- Change Applications: Alt + Tab
Identical to Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts, you possibly can press Alt and Tab to change between open applications.
- Maximize the Present Window: Alt + F11
This Raspbian OS keyboard shortcut is essentially the most sought-after hotkey amongst GUI customers. To maximise a window on Raspberry Pi, merely press Alt and F11.
- Decrease All Open Home windows: Ctrl + Alt + D
If you wish to reduce all of the energetic home windows (aka Present Desktop), you should use this keyboard shortcut on Raspberry Pi. It really works like a attraction.
- Open the Run Dialog: Alt + F2
Just like Home windows, Raspberry Pi OS additionally has a Run dialog that opens sure utilities and applications with shortcuts. You'll be able to open the Terminal (
lxterminal), browser (
midori), or shut down your machine (
sudo shutdown 0) from the Run dialog.
- Take a Screenshot: PrntSc or Fn + PrntSc
To take a screenshot on Raspberry Pi, you possibly can merely press the “PrntSc” key on the keyboard. If that doesn't work, press the “Fn” key together with the “PrntSc” key.
- Exit from Nano Editor: Ctrl + X
Those that are new to Raspberry OS and its default textual content editor discover it annoying to make use of the Nano textual content editor. If you wish to exit from the Nano textual content editor, press Ctrl and X concurrently, and you'll be again to the Terminal.
- Save Modifications to Textual content: Ctrl + O
If in case you have made some modifications to a textual content file utilizing the Nano editor, you possibly can press Ctrl and O. After that, press the “Y” key to save lots of the modifications.
- Open the Dropdown Menu: Alt + Area
Suppose you might be on a window and need to entry the dropdown menu, merely press Alt and Area and hit the underlined key to reduce or maximize the window. You can too select to shut the window. Aside from that, you may also use this Raspberry Pi keyboard shortcut to open the dropdown menu for information and folders.
Create Customized Keyboard Shortcuts on Raspberry Pi
1. To create customized hotkeys on Raspberry Pi, you'll first have to open the Terminal. After that, run the under command.
sudo nano /and so on/xdg/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml
2. This can open the XML file that holds all the prevailing keybindings on Raspberry Pi OS. Now, transfer down and search for “Keybindings for operating purposes“. Right here, you possibly can both modify the prevailing keyboard shortcuts or add your individual customized hotkey.
3. So as to add a customized keyboard shortcut on Raspberry Pi, you might want to observe the under syntax.
<keybind key="custom_keyboard_shortcut"> <motion identify="operation"> <command>command_name</command> </motion> </keybind>
4. Right here, beneath the keybind key, you possibly can assign your individual keyboard shortcut. For instance, if you wish to open the Chromium browser by say, urgent the Ctrl + B shortcut, observe the under syntax.
C is for Ctrl and
B is for the shortcut letter B. That is how the keybind entry seems to be like.
<keybind key="C-B"> <motion identify="operation"> <command>command_name</command> </motion> </keybind>
5. By the way in which, listed below are some keybind keys so that you can pay attention to. Be mindful, these are case-sensitive keybindings.
6. Now, coming to the motion identify. Nicely, the frequent one is
Execute, and it'll carry out most of your actions. If you wish to study extra in regards to the several types of actions, you possibly can head over to this page. So after defining the keybind shortcut and motion, that is what the entry seems to be like.
<keybind key="C-B"> <motion identify="Execute"> <command>command_name</command> </motion> </keybind>
7. Shifting to the ultimate half and that's the command identify. Right here, you might want to outline the applying you need to open. To seek out the command identify for an software, right-click on it and open “Properties”. Now, transfer to the “Desktop Entry” part and duplicate no matter is contained in the “Command” discipline. That's your command identify, and you might want to enter it into the syntax above. So for opening Chromium utilizing the Ctrl + B shortcut, that is what the entry seems to be like.
<keybind key="C-B"> <motion identify="Execute"> <command>chromium-browser</command> </motion> </keybind>
8. Now, add this entry to the XML file we opened through the Terminal. After that, press Ctrl + O and “Y” to save lots of the modifications, and press Ctrl + X to stop the Nano editor.
9. Lastly, run
sudo reboot to restart the Raspberry Pi, and there you will have it. Now, everytime you press the Ctrl + B shortcut, Raspbian OS will open the Chromium browser. So that's how one can create your individual keyboard shortcuts on Raspberry Pi.
Disable Keyboard Shortcuts on Raspberry Pi
1. To disable a particular keyboard shortcut on Raspberry Pi, we have to open the identical XML file as described within the technique above. Open the Terminal and run the under command.
sudo nano /and so on/xdg/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml
2. Transfer to “Keybindings for operating purposes” and delete the keybinding entry for that keyboard shortcut, and you might be achieved. Press Ctrl + O, then select “Y” and press Ctrl + X to stop the editor.
Use Raspberry Pi With Keyboard Shortcuts Effortlessly
So these are one of the best keyboard shortcuts for navigating Raspberry Pi OS. Now we have additionally defined the steps to create your individual custom hotkey on Raspberry Pi, identical to on Home windows 10. In case you are a sophisticated person, I'd counsel you tinker with the XML file as detailed above. It's going to increase your productiveness by many folds. Anyway, that's all from us. If in case you have any questions, tell us within the remark part under.