With work at home right here to remain, I want a manner to ensure I don’t get interrupted once I’m on a name or in vital conferences - and what higher manner to try this than an on-air gentle that exhibits everybody in my dwelling that I’m busy. I primarily use Zoom for my convention calls, so at this time we’ll be utilizing the Zoom API, a Raspberry Pi, and a few programmable LEDs to make an computerized, zoom-detecting, on-air gentle. It is a nice first Raspberry Pi project in the event you’re simply getting began with Pis or electronics - right here’s the way you do it.
What You’ll Want For This Venture
- Raspberry Pi 4 or Raspberry Pi 3 or Raspberry Pi Zero with energy adapter
- 8 GB (or bigger) microSD card with Raspberry Pi OS. See our record of best microSD cards for Raspberry Pi.
- Small wood challenge field with a lid, and skinny wooden
- Drill & drill bit set
- Soldering Iron & Solder
- WS281x 5v LEDs
- No less than 3 Jumper wires
- Printer & paper
- Scorching glue & scorching glue gun
- A Zoom account
- Double sided tape or glue stick
Find out how to make a Raspberry Pi “On Air” Gentle
Earlier than you get began, just remember to have your Raspberry Pi OS arrange. If you happen to haven’t completed this earlier than, see our article on how one can set up a Raspberry Pi for the primary time or how one can do a headless Raspberry Pi install (with out the keyboard and display).
1. Set up git, which is able to permit us to clone the code from github.com
sudo apt-get replace && sudo apt-get set up -y git
2. Clone the repository and descend into the listing created.
git clone https://github.com/rydercalmdown/on_air_light.git cd on_air_light
3. Run the set up command. It's going to handle putting in a digital surroundings, any mandatory low degree dependencies, and the python necessities.
make set up
4. Create a Zoom Utility along with your private account by visiting marketplace.zoom.us and creating an utility. The identify or particulars don’t matter, since this utility will simply be for you.
5. Obtain the JWT credentials to your utility and hold them for a later step.
6. Solder jumper wires to your WS28x individually addressable LEDs; you’ll must solder 5v, floor, and knowledge in (Din). Preserve word of which coloration is which.
7. Join the 5V jumper wire and floor to Raspberry Pi board pins 4 and 6 respectively.
8. Join the information in jumper wire to Raspberry Pi board pin 12 (BCM pin 18).
9. Utilizing a drill and a bit massive sufficient to create a gap to suit a USB adapter by means of, drill a gap within the aspect of your challenge field.
10. Print out the phrases “On Air” within the centre of a chunk of paper, and reduce it to suit into the lid of your field.
11. Connect it printed aspect down with double sided tape or a glue stick.
12. Connect your LEDs and Raspberry Pi to the again of the challenge field with scorching glue, feed within the USB adapter by means of the opening and plug in your Pi.
13. Shut up the lid of your field.
14. Utilizing the credentials obtained from the Zoom market, export the next surroundings variables
export ZOOM_API_KEY=your_api_key_from_marketplace export ZOOM_API_SECRET=your_api_secret_from_marketplace export ZOOM_USER_EMAIL=the_email_address_you_use_to_sign_into_zoom_with
15. Subsequent, begin the appliance with the next command.
supply env/bin/activate && cd src && sudo --preserve-env $(which python) app.py
The appliance will begin and flash the lights to check them instantly. As soon as the check is full, it would constantly ping the Zoom API to examine in case your account is in a gathering. While you be a part of a gathering, the field will flash, after which stay regular till you exit the assembly, at which level it would return to a traditional trying wood field.