So you've got a brand new Raspberry Pi and need to construct one thing helpful? Nicely, in the beginning, in case you don’t have a separate monitor, no want to fret. You may use your Windows laptop as a monitor for Raspberry Pi and even set up VNC Connect on RPi for remote connection. Nevertheless, if you're trying to construct an Android TV Field with Raspberry Pi then you'll need a separate monitor or TV. On this information, we've defined the main points on methods to set up Android TV on Raspberry Pi and get Google Play Retailer and Companies. So on that word, let’s start.
Construct Your Personal Android TV Field with Raspberry Pi (2021)
I've written this information protecting newcomers in thoughts so if you're fully new to Raspberry Pi, don’t fear. Simply go by the directions and you'll be operating your customized Android TV on Raspberry Pi. To your ease, you may leap between sections from the desk beneath.
1. You will have a monitor or TV to arrange and set up Android TV on Raspberry Pi. This could’t be achieved remotely.
2. HDMI cable primarily based in your board. Raspberry Pi 4 will want a micro HDMI to HDMI cable whereas Raspberry Pi 3 would require an HDMI to HDMI cable.
3. Raspberry Pi 3 and 4 are solely supported for Android TV they usually will need to have at the least 2GB of RAM.
4. A microSD card having free area of 16GB or extra.
5. Keyboard and mouse. When you have a wi-fi combo one then that’s even higher.
6. An influence adapter primarily based in your board.
- To begin with, to construct an Android TV Field with Raspberry Pi, you have to obtain Android TV OS for Raspberry Pi. KonstaKANG is a well-liked developer recognized for constructing all kinds of Android ROMs for Raspberry Pi. The TV OS is primarily based on Lineage OS and is out there in lots of variations together with Android 9, 10, and the newest 11. Based mostly in your board, you may obtain any Android TV model however I'd advocate Android TV 10 for stability. That mentioned, for this information, I'm attempting out Android 11 simply to examine how nicely it runs. You may click here to go over to the obtain web page for RPi 4. If you wish to obtain Android TV OS for RPi3 then click on on the Gadgets menu on the top-right nook.
- Subsequent, you have to obtain the GApps bundle because the Android TV construct doesn't include Google apps and providers. In case you are putting in Android TV 10 then open this link and easily click on on the obtain button (ensure that “tvstock” is chosen). In case you are like me, attempting a newly launched Android TV 11 construct then click here and obtain the “tvstock” take a look at construct.
- Subsequent, you have to obtain balenaEtcher (Free) to flash the Android TV OS onto the SD card.
Set up Android TV on Raspberry Pi (2021)
1. Upon getting downloaded the Android TV construct, extract it and you'll get an IMG file.
2. Subsequent, hearth up balenaEtcher and choose the Android TV IMG file. In my case, it’s an Android TV 11 construct, however you will have a special model. After that, select the SD card and click on on “Flash!“.
3. As soon as the flashing course of is completed, take away the SD card and insert it into the Raspberry Pi. As well as, join a mouse and keyboard. Lastly, join the facility supply and HDMI cable to the monitor/TV.
4. Inside seconds, you can see Lineage OS loading up on the display screen.
5. After some time, you'll be on the barebone Android TV dwelling display screen. Now we have to add Google Play Retailer and Companies on our Android TV. By the best way, to return, press the F2 key on the keyboard. And a few keyboard shortcuts for Android TV on Raspberry Pi are: F1 = Dwelling, F2 = Again, F3 = Multi-tasking, F4 = Menu, Press and maintain F5 = Energy Menu, F11 = Quantity down, and F12 = Quantity up.
Set up Google Play Retailer and Companies on Your Customized Raspberry Pi Android TV Field
1. Now that you've got put in Android TV on Raspberry Pi, it’s time so as to add assist for Google Play Retailer and different providers. Use a thumb drive and transfer the GApps bundle (ZIP file) to Raspberry Pi out of your pc.
2. Upon getting moved the GApps bundle, open Settings -> Gadget Preferences -> About -> Scroll right down to the Construct menu. Now, click on on the “Construct” menu 7-8 occasions constantly. It would allow Developer Choices on Android TV.
3. Subsequent, return to Gadget Preferences and scroll down. You will see that “Developer Choices“. Open it.
4. Right here, activate “Superior Reboot“.
5. Now, to restart Android TV on Raspberry Pi, open Settings -> Gadget preferences -> Reboot -> Restoration. This may take you to TWRP Restoration.
6. You'll now boot into the TWRP restoration. If prompted, click on on “Swipe to Permit Modifications”. After that, open “Set up“.
7. Right here, select the GApps bundle that we transferred to the Raspberry Pi.
8. Lastly, click on on “Swipe to substantiate Flash“.
9. Now, click on on the TWRP icon on the top-right nook and it'll take you to the principle menu. This time, transfer to Wipe -> Swipe to Manufacturing unit Reset.
10. As soon as the reset is full, click on on “Reboot” on the identical web page.
11. Voila, you'll boot immediately into Android TV in your Raspberry Pi. And this time, you'll be prompted with the Google Setup. Now, go forward and comply with the on-screen directions. I'll recommend you not add your major Google account as Google has been recently terminating accounts for unknown coverage violations. For those who get a popup to arrange a distant, press “Esc” on the keyboard. Additional, in case you face an error throughout Google login, use the distant choice for on-device login.
12. So right here it's. Google Play Retailer, Chromecast, and all Google providers can be found in your Raspberry Pi-based Android TV and dealing completely advantageous. In case, Chromecast is just not working or apps like Netflix usually are not out there then comply with the beneath repair.
Repair Chromecast on Raspberry Pi-based Android TV Field
1. If Chromecast is just not working in your Raspberry Pi, there's nothing to fret about. You may manually enroll your customized Android TV on Google’s checklist of licensed units. To start with, set up the Gadget ID app by Evozi (Play Store / APKMirror) on Raspberry Pi. For the reason that Play Retailer on Android TV doesn't have this app, you'll have to sideload it.
2. Subsequent, open the Gadget ID app and it'll show the code for Google Service Framework (GSF). Click on on it and duplicate the code.
3. Now open google.com/android/uncertified on Raspberry Pi or your pc and log in with the identical Google account that you've got used on the Raspberry Pi. After that, paste the GSF code and click on on “Register“. You've got lastly achieved it. Now, anticipate 5-10 minutes and Chromecast ought to begin working.
4. In case you are nonetheless dealing with points then restart your RPi-based Android TV. Press and maintain the F5 key and click on on Restart. This time, Chromecast ought to work advantageous.
5. To additional customise your Raspberry Pi-based Android TV, head over to Settings -> Gadget Preferences -> Raspberry Pi Settings.
6. You may even add an IR distant to your Raspberry Android TV setup. Simply allow the Infrared distant toggle and use your IR distant to regulate Android TV. For extra data, head over to the developer’s documentation.
Set up Android TV on Raspberry Pi to Make Your TV Sensible
So that's how one can set up Android TV and make the most of Raspberry Pi as an Android TV Stick or Field. I do know the set up course of is a bit prolonged, however when you set it up, every little thing works advantageous. I even examined the newest Android 11 construct and it labored like a appeal. So go forward and check out it out.
Moreover, we might advocate you install Pi-hole on your Raspberry Pi to wash your own home community from adverts and trackers. And if you're questioning, sure you may set up Raspberry Pi remotely without a monitor or Ethernet/HDMI cable. Anyway, that's all from us. In case you are dealing with any points then tell us within the remark part beneath.